The second game to kick off in Group B at the Khalifa International Stadium is England vs Iran. A fixture that has more history off the pitch than on it. This will be the first time they have competed in any form of a football match. This is truly a David versus Goliath match and David may not survive this one. So, be sure to read our England vs Iran prediction and see who will come out alive in this match.
We will be sharing our tips and online sports betting odds that you can play at Betiton™ for this fixture. We support our members with the best World Cup 2022 predictions, and betting markets. How will you place your World Cup bets?
Having reached the final of the 2020 Euros tournament, does the England team have what it takes to create the same journey in the World Cup? We take a look at their history with the competition, present the road to the World Cup, and highlight their top three players that could have an impact on their performance throughout.
As with all World Cup betting odds on the favourites, England are always in the top 10 and most recently in the top 5. Currently, the World Cup predictor has England as third favourites, behind France and Brazil. Let’s see if they use their Euros defeat and turn it for the better in Qatar.
World Cup History
England has only ever not qualified for a spot in the tournament three times since it’s been a FIFA member. They won it once and this was in 1966 in the final against Germany. England does struggle to get beyond the Round of 16 and comes into the tournament with many inconsistencies. In 2014, they only played the Group Stage round, and in 2018, finishing 4th place having reached the Semi-Finals and losing to Croatia 2-1. The last time England finish this high was back in 1990, their highest position since their winning success in 1966.
Qualification & Road to the World Cup 2022
Can it help to form World Cup 2022 predictions based on the performances of the qualifiers? Let’s take a look at how England managed to book a place for this year’s trip to Qatar.
|25/03/2021||England vs San Marino||5-0|
|28/03/2021||Albania vs England||0-2|
|31/03/2021||England vs Poland||2-1|
|02/09/2021||Hungary vs England||0-4|
|05/09/2021||England vs Andorra||4-0|
|08/09/2021||Poland vs England||1-1|
|09/10/2021||Andorra vs England||0-5|
|12/10/2021||England vs Hungary||1-1|
|12/11/2021||England vs Albania||5-0|
|15/11/2021||San Marino vs England||0-10|
England Players to Watch
The England team boasts many stars, but how are the top players that can help change a game, win a match, and help you to make better football predictions? These are our top three players to keep an eye on.
- Harry Kane: Position: Forward. At 28, Kane has 73 caps and 50 goals. This is a great feat for an English forward and with 14 assists to his name, without Kane playing England looks weak. Group top scorer and even tournament golden boot look like good bets to put on.
- Kalvin Phillips: Position: Midfield. 23 caps, 1 assist, and 3 bookings. Kalvin is a solid defensive midfielder, who up until recently never tasted an England loss when he started a game. If he gets the game time at his new club Manchester City, he will start and will be influential in dictating the play.
- Phil Foden : Position: Midfield. At 22, Foden has 16 caps and 2 international goals. His strengths are in offence play and has contributed 6 assists in the 16 games played. Has the potential to be one of the best players in the tournament if he can get a start.
Not many would put a football prediction on Iran winning this fixture. But is that wise? Clearly and by some distance, on paper, Iran’s National Football Team does not come close to England, but they are no mugs to the sport. We take a look at their history, top players, and how they qualified for a spot in the Qatar World Cup.
World Cup History
It might surprise you to learn that Iran has appeared in six world cups, which is actually impressive for a nation that didn’t enter the competition until 1974 when they failed to qualify. It wasn’t till 1978, where they made it to the first round and ending 14th place. They then appeared in 1998, 2006, 2014, 2018, and now in Qatar.
Qualification & Road to the World Cup 2022
For Iran, the road to the World Cup is a long one, with 14 games needed to be played. Let’s see how they achieved a place in Group B to face off against England, Wales, and the USA.
|03/06/2021||Iraq vs Hong Kong||3-1|
|07/06/2021||Iran vs Bahrain||3-0|
|11/06/2021||Cambodia vs Iran||0-10|
|15/06/2021||Iran vs Iraq||1-0|
|02/09/2021||Iran vs Syria||1-0|
|07/09/2021||Iraq vs Iran||0-3|
|07/10/2021||UAE vs Iran||0-1|
|12/10/2021||Iran vs Korea Republic||1-1|
|11/11/2021||Lebanon vs Iran||1-2|
|16/11/2021||Syria vs Iran||0-3|
|27/01/2022||Iran vs Iraq||1-0|
|01/02/2022||Iran vs UAE||1-0|
|24/03/2022||Korea Republic vs||2-0|
|29/03/2022||Iran vs Lebanon||2-0|
Iran Players to Watch
Are there any strong players in the squad that can inflict any damage on the England team? Here are our top three options when looking at Iran’s more dangerous players.
- Sardar Azmoun: Position: Forward. Currently holding 60 caps and 40 international goals, and 7 assists. On paper Azmoun would be the best striker in the world, but the quality of the opponents makes these stats very flattering. During his career he as picked up 11 bookings and with tougher competition ahead, he may get more yellows than goals.
- Mehdi Taremi: Position: Forward. 57 international caps and 27 goals. A very strong offence player that comes with 13 assists made in all National competitions.
- Alireza Jahanbakhsh: Position: Right Winger. 62 caps, 13 goals, and 6 assists.
England vs Iran Betting Odds
All the football betting pros out there will be gunning for an England win, and they are the clear favourite by some distance when looking at the World Cup 2022 betting odds. But what of the other popular markets that are offered by Betiton™? Here we look at Match Winner, as well as the betting market of Over/Under 2.5 Goals.
|England to Win||Iran to Win||Draw|
Over/Under 2.5 Goals
|Over 2.5 Goals||Under 2.5 Goals|
Who Will Win? England vs Iran Prediction
For our England vs Iran prediction, there is only one clear winner for this game and that is England. Though in classic England style, they might make the game more difficult than it needs to be. This could be a classic 1-0, or if England are on form, it could be a riot at 4-0.
Our England vs Iran prediction: England to win.
Our England vs Iran Betting Tips
With England set to dominate this game, what are some of the better odds to pick that will help boost your profits? Here are some football predictions and market tips to opt for. European Handicap at -2 for England comes in at odds of 3.46. Winning Margins for England that are greater than 2 have odds of 3.46 as well. For a score prediction, we think 4-0 at 13.80 is a great return. A Half Time Correct Score of England 2-0 is offered at 5.65 odds.